Date: 9/12/2008 11:43:03 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                               




Auburn, PA. September 12, 2008


            The Auburn Area Historical Society will be presenting the 2nd Annual Car and Truck Show on Saturday September 27th   from 9 to 4 at the Auburn Memorial Park in Auburn, PA.  (Rain Date September 28th)

            Food, Entertainment and over 130 Custom cars and trucks will be displayed at the Auburn Memorial Park, located on route 895 West in Schuylkill County just 3 miles from route 61.

            In co-operation with the Reading Fairgrounds Racing Historical Society a display featuring the Circle M Ranch Speedway will be presented with pictures and memorabilia from the 1/4 mile Speedway.  Drivers that raced at Circle M Speedway in 1955 and 1956 will be present from 11 am to 1 pm for autographs and questions.  Robert “Harp” Wink, Hal Laity, Russ Smith, Glenn Yocum, Whitey Kerschner, Lauden Potts, Carl Steffy and engine builder Bill Gettle have indicated they will be in attendance. Also on display all day will be the 38 ford number 55 of Paul Blatt, a 37 ford number 11 of Russ Smith and the 34 ford number 101 of Red Lesher. Other cars are also planned to be displayed all day. 

            Circle M Ranch Speedway was a 1/4 mile oval built by Eddie Mates and his sons in 1954. On May 8th, 1955 Mates opened up with 33 Stock Cars and over 2,500 fans. A 25 lap feature was presented with Hal Lord of Orwigsburg bringing home the first win. Paul Blatt of Reading was second and that car will be on display. Third place went to Don Loder of Shoemakersville and Mitch Zajac of Hamburg was fourth.  Glen Yocom of Hamburg was fifth and Glen will be in attendance on Saturday

            Promoter Mates was so pleased with the outcome of the day’s events that he doubled the $400 purse to $800. He presented 29 documented shows in 55, running on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons

            The track raced for two years under the direction of Mates with winners like Charley Bubeck, Leroy Felty, Toby Tobias, Wayne Leitzel, Warren Mutter, Dave Marberger, “Harp” Wink and Pappy Bricker.

Mates then leased the track to the Hurley brothers from Carlisle in 1957 and they ran a sporadic schedule. In 1958, the Reading Fairgrounds began paying top dollar for flathead racing and many of the short tracks in the region closed. During Circle M’s short

Existence, Mates also presented Rodeo’s.

            Come out on Saturday and relive the roar of the Mighty Stock Cars in Auburn, PA.


Return-to-SJDR Press Releases